Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Preacher or the Whore?


So Jesus had been invited to a dinner party at the home of the respected religious leader Simon, the Pharisee. This was not as odd as you may think, after all these men did have a lot in common. We, as Christians, know just how different these two men actually were, but we never look at the things they had in common. They were both devout Jews who followed the teachings of the Torah. They were both respected men of God, and they were both teachers. They were, what we would call here in the South, "preachers." 

I, being a preacher myself,  have sat at many tables with countless preachers and I'm sure these two were talking about the things they did have in common...Scripture, sermons, and exchanging "preacher" stories and experiences. Simon was, like most preachers, curious and probably a little suspicious of Jesus' knowledge of the Scriptures.  I would imagine, as did most of the Pharisees, that he was trying to trap Jesus and catch Him saying or doing something wrong, in an attempt to discredit Him.  

As they sat having what I'm sure was a deep conversation, in walks this woman and not just any woman, but a sinful woman. This was an audacious move, to say the least. This woman was risking her very life as she walked boldly into Simon's home. As she crossed the room she was weeping uncontrollably, Im sure some of those tears were a result of Jesus' presence but, being a sinner myself, I believe that some were from the overwhelming fear and questions that were raging through her. Fear that maybe Jesus isn't who she thought, or maybe He's really just like the rest of the "preachers" who made it a point to separate themselves from people like her. I'm sure that voice in her head was saying, "What if He rejects you too?" and "What if He too thinks that you're nothing more than an abomination?" and "Will He rebuke me...reject me...condemn me?" 

 I can only imagine the fears that this woman was experiencing! But she had heard that Jesus was different from all the other preachers, she had heard about His grace and mercy, and she was willing to take a chance that these rumors were true and for the first time in her life she had a ray of hope...hope that she would be accepted and embraced. Maybe Jesus would see her as a person and not a whore, and love her unconditionally. So despite all her fears, and how the rest of the preachers had condemned her, she pressed through!

This woman had an alabaster jar in her hands, this jar held her life's treasure and through the tears that blinded her, the fears that engulfed her, and the questions that taunted her she proceeded to Jesus. The moment she reached Him she fell on her knees and began washing His feet with her tears. She broke the valuable jar and lavished His feet with this expensive perfume that it held. 

Simon is watching what he considers a vulgar scene as this whore dries Jesus' feet with her hair...In his mind he's thinking that Jesus can't be a prophet, if He were He would know that this woman was sinful. [It's funny to me that Simon, not only thought that Jesus was an impostor  but he obviously thought that He was stupid as well, because you didn't have to be a prophet to know that this woman was a whore!]

Then Jesus, knowing what Simon was thinking, told a parable: 

 “Simon,” he said to the Pharisee, “I have something to say to you.” “Go ahead, Teacher,” Simon replied. Then Jesus told him this story: “A man loaned money to two people—500 pieces of silver to one and 50 pieces to the other. But neither of them could repay him, so he kindly forgave them both, canceling their debts. Who do you suppose loved him more after that?” Simon answered, “I suppose the one for whom he canceled the larger debt.”  

“Thats right,” Jesus said. Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Look at this woman kneeling here. When I entered your home, you didnt offer me water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You didnt greet me with a kiss, but from the time I first came in, she has not stopped kissing my feet. You neglected the courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has anointed my feet with rare perfume. "I tell you, her sins—and they are many— have been            forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.” Then Jesus said to the woman, “Your sins are forgiven.” Luke 7:41-50 NIV


So who sinned more.... The Preacher or the Whore?

Judging from the blatant display of love from the whore and the obvious disregard from the preacher, and according to this parable, the whore was forgiven more.  But in reality the only difference between the preacher and the whore, was not the amount of sin...it was not even the type of sin...(SIN is SIN) The difference was humility and honesty, the whore knew who she was and acknowledged her sin, the preacher however thought he was righteous and sin free....

As Christians how many times have we passed judgment and separated ourselves from people who we considered sinners? Are you guilty of this?? (shamefully lifts hand) As I read this story, I recognized the times that I acted as the Pharisee...I can clearly see the times that, due to religion, I caused more harm than good because I, like Simon, had exalted myself and become SELF-righteous.... for this I sincerely apologize 

After experiencing this same rejection and condemnation suddenly I have found myself in the shoes of the whore and I'm humbled...I know that I too am a sinner and the only thing good in me is Jesus!! 

 As you read this I ask you to step into the shoes of the whore... I hope that you see that sometimes you might find a preacher or two that reject you because you're a "sinner", BUT remember....Jesus never rejected anyone and He never separated Himself from anyone and He will never reject your or separate Himself from you! 

PLEASE don't judge or weigh the love of Christ based on the actions of a human... there is NO comparison, because we are just that...HUMAN and just because we are "preachers" or Christians doesn't mean that we don't fall WAY short of Christlikeness.  Jesus' love, His grace, and His mercy are bigger than we can even begin to imagine! PRESS through and walk past the Pharisees He's waiting for you! 


Just Bb


No comments:

Post a Comment